Jul 27, 2013

COFFEE & CHOCOLATE CAKE WITH MINI DONUTS

My dad had a birthday and I was in charge of making the b-day cake. For a change. Because my dad does not care how the cake will look like, I was basically all free. I wanted to make double chocolate cake but my mother was against :) Too bad. So I decided for a compromise. For me, - chocolate, for mom - cream without whipped cream and for my brother - little donuts. Well, in the end it all belonged to my father, so all good. When grandma looked at the cake, she said that's exactly what I was looking for the entire day.


I was inspired by this recipe. 

Dough: 
100 g of dark chocolate
shot of espresso 
2 cups of sugar + 2 sachets of vanilla sugar 
3 cups of fine flour 
2 teaspoons of baking soda 
teaspoon of baking powder 
pinch of salt 
3 large eggs (our chickens were not very productive, so I used 4 small eggs) 
cup of oil 
500 g of buttermilk 
2 tablespoons of cocoa 

rum for drizzling 

Filling: 
2 sachets of vanilla pudding 
900 ml of milk 
80 g of sugar 
250 g of butter 
100 ml of whipping cream (I did not tell my mum)

Mini Donuts: 
1 ½ cup of fine flour 
½ cup of butter
2 teaspoons of baking powder 
pinch of salt 
eggs 
half a cup of milk 
spoon of vanilla sugar 
50 g of sugar 

Attention: the dough should be rather dry- otherwise donuts will be too oily and they will fall apart

Chocolate icing: 
100 ml of whipping cream 
150 g of dark chocolate 

70 g of almond slices 

Preparation:
Mini donuts - mix eggs in a bowl with milk and sugar. Gradually add the flour, baking powder, salt and butter. Properly put it together using your hands. Then, make small donuts. Do not make them too big, please. Bake approx for 10 minutes (rather less than more) at a temperature of 150 °C. 

Chocolate glaze for donuts - in a little pot, melt chocolate with cream. Spread the hot chocolate on cold donuts.

Dough - mix eggs, gradually add oil, buttermilk and half of the sugar. In a second bowl, mix the flour with soda, salt, baking powder, cocoa and the rest of the sugar. Gradually add egg  after egg. Melt the chocolate in a pot and prepare brewed coffee. Both coffee and chocolate add to the dough mixture. Put it in the cake tin and bake for about an hour at 170 °C. 

Pudding filling - boil 800 ml of milk. Whisk pudding mix powder with the rest of the milk. Stir in sauce pan until the mixture thickens. Let it cool down. Whip the whipping cream and butter. When the cream is chilled, mix it with sugar, butter and cream until the cream is completely smooth. 

Cut the baked pastry into three parts. Each plate drizzle with decent amount of rum and spread cream on it. Save about 1/3 of the cream on the top. 

The rest of the process is intuitive :). Finish the cream and then, put mini donuts on the side of the cake. Rather shortly before the consumption so that it stays dry. 


TIP: cup = 250 ml





No comments :

Post a Comment

Bella Lulu Ink Blog